The baguette diamond is one of the most unique diamond shape popular in the society nowadays. Baguette cut diamonds make a beautiful jewelry piece a sparkling one. The baguette diamond is actually a quite fascinating diamond cut.
History of the baguette cut diamond
The baguette diamond is about 100 years old. Named after the famous French bread, it was introduced around the 1920s – 1930s. The baguette diamond was very popular in the Art Nouveau and Art Deco periods. We still find baguette diamonds in jewelry from Art Nouveau and Art Deco period of time. The reason the baguette became so popular because people were almost ignore the traditional round diamond shapes. They looked for something new design pattern to express themselves. Hence, the baguette cut was born.
Craftsmanship of Baguette diamond Ring
Just like other diamond cuts, the value of the baguette cut diamond depends on the 4 C’s. Baguette cut diamonds were in general lighter than one carat of round diamond. Its mattered most the quality of the cut.
Baguette diamonds only have 14 facets. Some cases, baguette cuts have 24 facets. The baguette cut diamond also known as “step cuts” diamonds like the Emerald cut and the Asscher cut also have respectively 57 and 74 facets..
Greater facets in Baguette make it greater from others
Placing the facets correctly is important for every diamond shape. In a baguette cut diamond it is same as crucial. Each cut has to be perfect and precise. Its have more price baguette cut diamond as it contain high facets cut When a baguette diamond is perfectly cut, it displays an incredible show of fire and light. However, because it is a step-cut diamond shape, a baguette diamond never sparkles as much as a brilliant cut.
Shape and size of a Baguette Diamond vs Emerald
Step cut diamonds have rectangular or square facets. These facets graduate increase from the table like a set of steps. You can compare them to tiny stairs. Baguettes come in many different ratios. In general, they are around 1.5mm to 1mm.
It Is up to the diamond polisher. As characteristic of the baguette cut diamond is its shape. A baguette can be straight with straight corners. But a very common variety is a baguette cut with tapered edges.
Popularly in jewelry Baguette Diamonds are in trends
Baguette diamonds are by far most used as shoulder stones. The thin shape of the baguette diamond are tough for almost every diamond shape. Baguettes also fit well in sidebands because of their thin structure. But because it doesn’t sparkle as much, the baguette does not attract the attention from the main diamond.
How Identify a Baguette Cut Diamond?
When you’re about to purchase baguette cut diamonds, there are a few things to take into account:
- Match color and clarity
- Inclusions in Diamond
- Purchase in Pairs
1. Baguette Cut Diamond Color and clarity
All baguettes diamond in a piece of jewelry should have a similar color and clarity. They should also match the center diamond. A difference in color and clarity leave a poor impression on the buyers which make it inferior.
2. Avoid inclusions in diamonds
The inclusions in baguette diamonds are more visible than inclusions in round diamond. But they are even more visible than in other step cuts such as emerald cuts. The reason behind this is the small number of facets. That’s why peoples always recommend a clarity of IF, VVS or VS quality in purity when buy baguette diamonds. Peoples ignore the SI, I, purity at the every level.
3. Purchase in pairs
If you purchase loose baguette diamond, make possible to have guarantee the symmetry, you want to make sure both diamonds are be pairs look the same. That’s why peoples are crazy to purchase baguette diamonds in sets of 2.
Advantage and disadvantage of baguette diamonds
Just like any other diamond cut, the baguette cut diamond also knows its strengths and weaknesses. When you’re considering to purchase a baguette diamond, it is useful to take these into account.
Advantage of the baguette cut diamond
As you can imagine, there are certainly a few characteristics of the baguette cut that are beneficial.
- Cheaper: baguette diamonds are less popular than other cuts like the brilliant round or the emerald cut. Therefore, they are offer lower in price. This doesn’t mean the cut is of lower quality. It is just a matter of supply and demand.
- Great sidekicks: baguettes are a great addition to any main diamond or gemstone. They make sure all the attention goes to the stone in the center and don’t steal the thunder.
- Versatile: because the baguette diamonds are such great sidekicks, they are also very versatile. There are many ways to place baguette diamonds in jewelry. This can be horizontal, vertical or even aligned.
Disadvantage of the Baguette Cut Diamond
Like other diamond cuts, the baguette cut also has a few downsides.
- Less popular: it depends on how you look at it. But it can be more of a challenge to find baguette cut diamonds because they are less popular.
- Less suitable for solitaires: solitaire engagement rings are one of the most popular pieces of diamond jewelry. Unfortunately, baguette cuts hardly make pretty solitaires. But now the trends are changes.
- Erorrs and inclusions are highly noticeable: any baguette diamond with a clarity below VS2 has noticeable inclusions. Brilliants and cuts derived from it can get away with a lesser clarity without having the inclusions so visible.
- Less brilliance: just like emerald cuts, baguettes are step cuts. This means they sparkle less than brilliants round diamond and most other diamond cuts.
- The most important thing about purchasing a diamond is your own preference. The most important thing is that you like the diamond you chose.